Grow Your SMS Marketing List (Legally) With These 4 Steps

Growing your SMS marketing list can be tricky for a number of reasons. Let’s break it down into four simple, attainable steps to help you get started.

You may be considering text message marketing because you’ve heard SMS messages have a 98% open rate. Unfortunately, that statistic doesn’t tell the full truth about how SMS marketing campaigns work. Text message marketing isn’t a quick shortcut to big results. Like everything else, it takes work.

The first hurdle is convincing audiences to tune into your text messages. Only 25% of smartphone users want to hear from brands via text message, according to a study by the Mobile Ecosystem Forum. Attempts to push SMS communications on your customers will sour your relationship with them, which is the opposite of what you want. The 25% of customers who will sign up right away can’t come at the expense of the other 75%. Some of those in the latter group will never be convinced to hand over their mobile number. You may manage to convert others, but only if you take the time to lay the proper groundwork.

Building an SMS marketing list isn’t just about Macedonia WhatsApp Number List getting people to enter their phone numbers into a form. It’s about building trust through clear communication and then giving your customers a reason to subscribe. Follow these steps to show your customers why sharing their cell phone number is a good deal for them, not just you.

Check your TCPA compliance

The Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), which applies to marketing calls and text messages, makes it illegal to contact consumers without explicit consent. If you break the law, your company could face serious fines—up to $500 per violation. Get affirmative consent and keep records of it to avoid incurring such penalties.

The best way to do this is via a double opt-in process. After someone adds their number for SMS marketing, send a text with a code they must use to receive further communications. Make sure you tell them they might incur text messaging fees from their carrier before they finalize their subscription.  Best database provider | Whatsapp number lists

The TCPA also sets rules around when and how you can contact customers:

The #1 Salesforce Tool

Combine your account with Salesforce using the #1 integration, and experience better email.

Learn More

  • You must send between 8 AM and 9 PM in a customer’s local time to be compliant.
  • You can’t send a marketing text message to anyone on the national Do Not Call registry.
  • Every message must include your company’s name.
  • Every message must tell users how they can opt out.
  • 13 states (AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, IN, NJ, ND, OK, RI, UT, WA, and WI) have their own laws governing text message. Make sure to familiarize yourself with the laws that apply to anywhere your consumers may live.

According to a Klaviyo report drawn from their SMS customers, an opt-out rate of over 2.2% signals customers are unhappy with your text message marketing campaigns. If you’re above this critical point, double-check your company’s TCPA compliance, then reconsider what your audience wants.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.